Wim Hardyns is professor of criminology in the Department of Criminology, Criminal Law and Social Law at Ghent University, Belgium and member of the Institute of International Research on Criminal Policy (IRCP). His current interests are crime mapping and statistics, environmental criminology, crime prevention, new security technologies, big data, radicalization and terrorism, and sports-related crime.
Selected societal impact activities
- 2018 – Freedom From Fear Magazine (UNICRI) – Preventing crime and violent extremism by strengthening youth resilience: Implementation of the BOUNCE resilience tools in 10 European cities.
- 2019 – Urgent.fm Mensentaal (radio interview) – Urban security and predictive policing.
- 2018 – De Morgen (Newspaper) – Topic security and advice for the election debate.
- 15/11-18/11/2018 –Brussels – 4th international conference on nighttime economy, culture, urban development and health issues – Beyond the paradox, Nights conference 2018
- 14/03/2018 – Brussels – International conference – “Results of the BOUNCE evaluation & research”
- 31/05/2016 – Vilvoorde – National conference Centre for Policing and Security – “Radicalisation and terrorism”
- Crime and place
- Big data and crime
- New technologies and security
- 2020 – Well-being and partner violence during the corona pandemic
- 2017-2020 – Predictive policing as a tool for crime prediction and prevention: a methodological and operational evaluation
- 2017-2018 – BOUNCE resilience training, network and evaluation – STRESAVIORA II (Strengthening Resilience Against Violent Radicalisation)
- 2017-2018 – Impact and effect evaluation of community guards