Noël Klima is Research Coordinator at the Institute for International Research on Criminal Policy (IRCP) and coordinator of the interdisciplinary consortium with focus on societal impact IDC Crime, Criminology & Criminal Policy at Ghent University. He is Head of Knowledge Transfer, Engagement and Societal Impact at the consortium promoting a range of capacity building initiatives to foster knowledge transfer and societal value creation of research. Noel Klima has broad experience working at the interface of research, practice and policy working in different organisations on national and international level. He is member of CESAER’s Task Force Linking SSH with STEM, member of PIXLES and steering group member of the UGent business development center i4S – Smart Solutions for Secure Societies.
Before he was Programme Management Officer at the United Nations Interregional Crime and Justice Research Institute – UNICRI in Rome, Italy. He was also working several years for the Belgian Federal Public Service Home Affairs, DG Security and Prevention as Deputy Head of the Unit Radicalism in Brussels. Noël Klima also served as Coordinator of the Secretariat of the European Crime Prevention Network (EUCPN) and has long experience as scientific researcher and post-doctoral researcher at IRCP.
Noël Klima received his PhD in Criminology Master’s degree in European Criminology and Criminal Justice Systems from Ghent University and studied law at the Westfälische Wilhelms-University Münster (DE), University of Reims Champagne-Ardenne (FR) and Radboud University Nijmegen (NL). Noël Klima is a certified ISO 31000 Risk Management Professional and Trainer.
- EMAIL: email@example.com
- TELEPHONE: +32 9 264 67 32
- TELEPHONE SECRETARIAT: +32 9 264 69 30
- ADRESS: Universiteitstraat 4, Ghent, Belgium
- ORCID: 0000-0003-3911-3654
Selected societal impact activities
- Crime@UGent blog (Editor-in-Chief)
- Peer to Peer Student Innovation against Violent Extremism (PI)
- CaST – Communities and Students Together, Erasmus+ 2019 Key Action 2 Strategic Partnerships for Higher Education, 2019-1-UK01-KA203-061463 (lead UGent team), 2019-2022
- BOUNCE Resilience Training, UNDP, Pristina, Kosovo, 2016 (trainer) http://www.ekonomia-ks.com/?page=2,21,385100
- Violent Extremism and Polarization Workshop 2021, Brussels (organizer)
- European Society of Criminology conference 2019, Ghent (member scientific committee) https://www.eurocrim2019.com/scientific-committee
- Partnership forum for action on the 2030 agenda for sustainable development: goal 16, UNICRI’s cross-thematic and system-wide approach to the SDGs, 2016, Rome (panel chair ‘Justice and Dignity’) http://asvis.it/public/asvis/files/Partnership_for_Action_UNICRI_SDG_Conference_14Dec2016.pdf
- Societal Impact and Interdisciplinarity
- Security Research Policy
- Strenghthening Resilience against Violent Radicalisation (STRESAVIORA), ISEC Programme European Commission (project coordinator FPS Home Affairs), 2013-2015 https://www.bounce-resilience-tools.eu/
- Towards a European Centre of Expertise on Crime Prevention, ISEC Programme European Commission (project coordinator FPS Home Affairs), 2011-2014 https://eucpn.org/
- DANGER – Appraising the dangerousness of organized crime‚ Society and Future Programme Belgian Federal Science Policy (researcher and project manager), 2008-2011 http://www.law.ugent.be/ircp/danger/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=17&lang=en